Friday, February 8, 2008

Little Repair Shop of Horrors

In my short life I've heard one too many stories of people getting screwed by dealers and repair shops. In a recent experience a former coworker of mine took her car to the dealership to have her tire replaced. Total cost of repair was in the neighborhood of $300! I've had family members also report of similar fates when faced with dealers trying to up sell them on a tire replacement when they came in for a simple oil change. Personally, I've had my share of terrible service like the time I took my car in for a fender bender and the simple 5-day repair ended up taking twice as long. This facility was a recommended shop by my insurer and is not one I'd send my enemies to.

Photobucket

Can one avoid these nightmares disguised as businesses? Here are some simple rules of thumb:

1. Dealers thrive on lack of knowledge and will take any opportunity to sell you something you don't necessarily need. This overall theme spans from the showroom to the finance department and into the repair shop, and any hint of unpreparedness will guarantee an opportunity for them to pounce on you like a field mouse being swiped up by a barn owl. Bottom line: don't fall for their tricks and do your homework before stepping onto the car lot.
2. Car repair shops also rely on lack of expertise and will also take advantage of you when you're not looking. Avoid shops that look untidy or if the person running the establishment gives you the creeps. Bad vibes = bad repairs and huge headaches!
3. Get an educated opinion before you take your vehicle in for repair. If you know someone that knows enough about cars, let them look at the problem if it's not too much of a problem. Call them if you're stranded even. An easily-remedied dilemma such as a dead battery is simple to fix and can avoid having to be towed to a shop in the first place.
4. Do research before taking a car into the shop. If that check engine light came on it's usually an emissions related failure and some models are notorious for common problems. Go to forums such as Edmunds for some insight into your car's troubles. The fix could require only 5 minutes worth of labor, some basic hand tools, and could save you hundreds!
Photobucket
5. Get a recommendation before leaving for the shop. I know I shared my insurance horror story up above, but in spite of the delayed service, the repair was still done to my satisfaction. I took my Jeep to have a transmission rebuilt at a local shop and was fully satisfied with the experience, the maintenance tech even showed me the part that had failed, and I have since recommended this shop others and have not once received a call with bad news or someone cursing me.

Any of you have any horror stories to share?

No comments: