Tuesday, July 1, 2008

4-Day Workweeks and Other News

Well it was only a matter of time before this would happen: Utah is the first state to institute a four-day workweek for most of its state employees. You can bet other states will follow suit.

"What does this have to do with a car blog?" some may ask.

Well it's a trickle-down effect mostly. I would kill to have a three-day weekend every weekend and this would free up more time for my newest project, a restoration of my '69 Karmann Ghia. Besides, the extra days' expense of fueling up a vehicle could be put to better use like burying more money into my project. To put it into relative terms, the average worker commutes 29 miles per day, the U.S. average fuel economy for automobiles is about 24.6 miles per gallon, include the average jobs' two weeks of vacation per year, and in fuel cost savings alone, one could pocket $265 per year (based on $4.50/gallon).

Also in the news: car sales have slipped even further. While GM is still outselling Toyota, I wouldn't be surprised if the tables turn by the end of the year. Truck and SUV sales will continue to tank (a huge GM seller), and if you're in the market for such a vehicle, expect to see some big incentives especially towards the end of summer.

Update on that Wawanesa quote: I got my quote about 5 minutes after I made my post yesterday and they made a killing. 12-month quote: $1409, which would save me almost $50/month. I'll eat my words and be making the switch. Thanks neighbor!

DWD: 13, Miles: 723

No comments: